The Rock 'n' Read Project
All children reading at grade level through singing
Using singing to unlock children's potential for reading and learning
- Putting the child at the center
- Singing to enable the brain to read and learn
- Inspiring a love of learning through the joy of singing
- Reading as a gateway to achievement and future success
- The relentless pursuit of creative, enlivening, transformational approaches to learning
- Honoring the communities we serve by listening to and learning from them
- Inclusion and collaboration as we partner with schools and communities
Founded by Bill Jones and Ann Kay in 2014, The Rock 'n' Read Project is a 501(c)3 Minnesota nonprofit organization that launches projects that use singing to raise reading.
Project #1 Build the Rock 'n Read Bus, a mobile computer lab with a software program that uses singing to raise reading. Served 200 children in summer 2014 (no longer in service).
Project #2 Implement the software program in schools.
Project #3 Present workshops for teachers in how to use singing strategies with existing reading curricula.
After careers in law, construction, and sales, Bill is now committed to helping all children read through singing. He oversees all projects and financial accounting. The Executive Director reports to the Rock 'n' Read Board.
Ann coordinates Rock 'n' Read sites and reading assessments. She also directs a children's choir and co-teaches a course for classroom teachers, Want to Teach Reading and Math? Try Singing!
In addition to training teachers in how to facilitate TiR software and coaching students in Rock 'n' Read schools, Denise is a choir director and substitute music teacher.